2020 Youth Music Culture Guangdong Applicant Information
January 10, 2020 to January 18, 2020
Arrival: Thursday, January 9, 2020
Departure: Sunday, January 19, 2020
YMCG Symphony Orchestra
To put the philosophies of YMCG into practice, a select group of young musicians under the age of 35 will join together to form the inaugural YMCG Symphony Orchestra. An ensemble especially established for the project, it promises to be filled with vitality, befitting the energy of Guangdong, at the forefront of China’s reform and open-door policy. Here, friendships are made through music and a large extended family will be fostered by cultural fusion and exchange. Apart from performing at its operational base in Guangzhou, the YMCG Symphony Orchestra embarks each year on concert tours to promote the YMCG project.
Eminent American conductor Michael Stern serves as Music Director and Conductor of the 2020 YMCG Symphony Orchestra.
YMCG Program And Repertoire
Those selected to participate in YMCG will play in the symphony orchestra and chamber music ensembles, take part in Silkroad workshops, and have the opportunity to engage in public dialogues and master classes. Symphonic repertoire chosen for 2020 features Johann Sebastian Bach.
1. Fill out the online application form on apply.ymcgchina.com. Deadline for application is October 25th, 2019 CST (UTC+8).
2. Once application and audition videos have been reviewed by YMCG faculty, you will receive acceptance or rejection by email before November 10th, 2019.
*Accepted participants are expected to participate for the full period (January 9th — January 19th, 2020) without absences. Your schedule should be planned accordingly. No leave of absence will be granted.
Age limit 18 to 35 years old
Only way to complete the application form:
Online Application System
Use the following link to apply online: apply.ymcgchina.com
Applicants should upload required videos using their preferred file sharing service and share the viewing/downloading link directly in the application.
Please have your compressed files or shareable links ready before you start the application.
For any questions regarding the online application system, contact email@example.com.
YMCG offers to accepted young artists a full scholarship for tuition, room and board. Participants must provide their own transportation to Guangzhou.
Application Deadline is October 25th, 2019.
Phone: +86 020-37815560 [Monday to Saturday 9:00- 12:00, 14:00-17:00 (GMT+8)]
Applications will be accepted for the following instruments: Violin，Viola，Cello，Double bass，Flute，Oboe，Bassoon，Horn，Trumpet.
*Demonstrated skill at playing multiple instruments (including folk instruments) and/or composing is a plus.
Short Essay Questions:
The application includes a series of short essay questions. Please be prepared to answer them.
1. Who am I and how do I fit in the world?
2. What is the role of a musician in society?
3. What is the role of music in your life?
4. What else would you do if not music?
5. What is your greatest joy?
6. What is your greatest challenge?
Video Audition Requirements:
*Video formats must be avi, mpeg, mp4 or mov.
1. Please play a song that you remember from your childhood. You can play it alone, sing it, or play with friends and colleagues.
2. Choose one of the following:
Play a short piece that you composed or improvised.
Tell us something about yourself.
Tell a joke.
Show us something that you’ve made.
Describe something beautiful that you admire.
3. Please refer to the list below. Applicants are required to submit at least THREE orchestral excerpts, chosen from the options listed in each instrument category (although we encourage applicants to submit the entire list). If there are less than three, all excerpts are required. Solo pieces are required.
Before filling out the application, you must have all of your videos completed and uploaded using your preferred file sharing service (e.g. youtube or youku). You will need to provide the viewing/downloading links in the application.
Please note: It is strongly recommended (but not required) to fill out the application in English. The main language used during YMCG is English and to ensure the level of communication, we recommend that all applications be completed in English.
Johann Sebastian Bach
Two contrasting movements, one slow, one fast, any solo sonata or partita
Brandenburg Concerto No.3 in G major, last movement
Air from Orchestral Suite No.3 in D major, first violin part (without repeat)